As seen in Cycling Weekly
See our Facebook page.
And Twitter handle.
Wigan Wheelers and Triathlon Club are a friendly cycling and triathlon club based in Wigan, providing training and social opportunities catering to recreational and racing cyclists and triathletes of all disciplines. Our club was formed in 2019 by the bringing together of Wigan Wheelers and Wigan Triathlon clubs, with a combined history of over 120 years. The club is affiliated with British Cycling and British Triathlon, as well as other racing organisations to provide as many opportunities to our members as possible.
We organise and take part in a range of racing events, weekly time trials (summer only) with club runs taking place every weekend throughout the year. We welcome visitors from any part of the local areas, and from elsewhere if you are visiting the area for whatever reason.
We cater for every ability from the beginner to the experienced and welcome newcomers on many of the rides. The Club has a number of Awards/Trophies which are presented each year to the most deserving Club Member in each of the various categories. These awards cover racing and non-racing activities and are presented at the Annual Dinner and Prize Presentation evening, which is usually held in December/January each year.
Want to get in touch? See the contact us section below.
Note, due to the recent government regulations due to COVID-19 most club activities are suspended until further notice. All races and time trials have also been postponed. For individual riding please refer to the British Cycling guidance. We will update this page with further guidance as the guidelines change.
UPDATE: All social rides EXCEPT the club pursuit has been suspended until further notice
Regular rides every Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday from Wigan and Ashton.
Please click the "Find Out More" link below and visit Facebook group for more information on rides https://www.facebook.com/groups/121185733783/
Weekly 10 Time trials at Rainford in the summer as well as competition 10, 25's and 50's, please click the "Find out More" link below for more information on events and Trophies.
The club pursuit will kick off this Thursday, 2nd July and every Thursday afterward.
Riders will be set off in the slowest groups first and then progressing to the fastest people last. Speed averages are typically around 19-20mph for the slowest group and 24-25mph for the fastest group. Please see below the following notes:
1. This is not social type riding, its hard riding. If you don't know the route (https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33595318 ) and familiarise yourself with it, as it has been known for people to get dropped from this session!
2. Make sure we follow the etiquette for group riding, stuff like pointing potholes etc
3. The start location will be at to the Junction of Mossy Lea Lane and Pepper lane. This is to avoid groups in front of the chippy during the COVID period, as they will be queuing outside.
4. Meeting times are, first riders off 18:35, next groups start 18:45 and last groups 18:55. Get there 5mins before your time as they will not wait. Maximum group sizes of 6, so split yourselves up if there are more and set off at minute intervals.
5. The purpose is to ride hard all the way around, either in a chaingang formation or through and off, its up to the group, smaller numbers favour the latter taking turns of 20s - 60s on the front. Aim not to get caught by the chasing groups, finish line is the sign post at the end of High Moor Lane.
6. Normally we would congregate around the finish and talk nonsense about why on this occasion we couldn't get to the line first - as we are in COVID times I have to ask once finished, unless waiting for someone to ride home disperse quickly and maintain your social distance.
See you there.
Route map: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33595318
You can now order the 2020 WWTC club kit. Click on the button below to find out more (external link).